Resettlement & Integration Services
JFS has resettled hundreds of refugees and SIV’s from all over the world, including Afghanistan, for over 28 years. As you watch the news and see coverage of the situation happening in Afghanistan, we want you to know that we at JFS and at our national agency, HIAS, are monitoring the events carefully. We have been working to increase our capacity to support the anticipated increase of refugees we will resettle from around the world, in addition to SIV’s from Afghanistan.
Thank you to everyone who has reached out to support the work we do. If you would like to help and support individuals we resettle and JFS, please see the list below for some ideas. When we resettle individuals from Afghanistan we will not have much time to prepare. You can help us move families into their apartments and help us with sourcing safe and affordable apartments. We are also open to any ideas you have or can offer. If you would like more information on advocacy efforts, please visit the HIAS website: https://www.hias.org.
- Host Families: JFS is not currently housing refugees in community member’s homes, however this may change at any moment due to increase in capacity. If this is something you would like to offer, please check back or sign up to recieve our newsletter where we’ll provide updates as available.
- Housing: JFS is in need of apartments. Do you own a rental/property management company or know someone who does? Please send them our way!
- Funds – Donate online or mail a check to: JFS, 2245 S State St, Ann Arbor, MI 48104
- Gift cards (Visa, Meijer, Kroger, Target). Gift cards offer us the flexibility to meet the needs of our clients.
- In-Kind Donations—we are in need of cleaning supplies, personal care items, and household items:
- Check our Amazon wish list! (Click here)
- Volunteers—JFS is in need of volunteers! We need help with the below volunteer opportunities, click here to register:
- Grocery shopper
- Move-in assistance (moving furniture and putting furniture together)
As the only resettlement agency in Washtenaw County, JFS has resettled thousands of individuals from all over the world since it’s conception. The Resettlement & Integration Services Program at Jewish Family Services assists refugees, other immigration statuses, and their families with critical social services needed to ease their transition into their new communities.
With our help, individuals become self-sufficient and are able to not only create a stable living environment, but are able to thrive in our community.
JFS has dedicated bi-lingual and bi-cultural professionals who fulfill our mission by promoting and delivering individually focused social services through a variety of programs.
Reception & Placement
JFS assists refugees with intensive case management for up to 12 months beyond the Reception & Placement (R&P) period.
Youth Empowerment Services
JFS works with Refugee Youth and other eligible populations in the process of integration into life in Michigan. Services include education and support services; all geared toward achieving social adjustment and integration for refugee youth.
Youth Mentoring Program: promotes positive civic and social engagement and support individual educational and vocational advancement.
JFS Support: one-on-one school tutoring, held during the school year.
Refugee Summer Youth Group: promotes social engagement, education and connection to community.
Youth Scoop Newsletter: monthly newsletter sent to youth who are enrolled in services.
Thrive Counseling Services: provides therapy and group programming to refugee and immigrant youth in the community.
Refugee Health Screening
JFS works with local partners to support newly arrived refugees with obtaining initial health screening appointments and follow-up care to promote good health practices which help to facilitate successful integration and self-sufficiency.
Refugee Behavioral Health Services
JFS provides mental health services to refugees and immigrants. Programs include individual, family, and group counseling services as well as support in-schools for children and youth.