Partners in Care Concierge (PiCC): Partner
The role of a volunteer partner for PiCC is to provide accompaniment for older adult clients who are attending a medical appointment in the community. The goal is to allow the primarily older adult clients the ability to attend their appointments safely and independently (without family); as well as enabling them to feel supported and confident in their interaction with health care providers. Facilitating communication with medical staff is a key component of this program for the volunteer.
- Nonjudgmental approach
- Patient and tolerant demeanor
- Excellent verbal & written communication skills
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree OR prior health care experience (ex: nurses, social workers, allied health professions, personal caregiving experience, etc.)
- Ability to quickly establish rapport with an adult client.
- Interest in geriatric health care issues
- Knowledge of medical terminology beneficial, but not required.
- Good organizational skills
- Legible handwriting/printing
- PiCC volunteer training at JFS office
- Obtaining PiCC paperwork for client & establishing phone contact prior to the actual appointment.
- Meeting the client in their residence 30 minutes prior to transportation pick-up to complete the pre-visit paperwork.
- Working within established boundaries, and not attempting to resolve the client’s problems.
- Assisting client with simple personal tasks such as pushing a wheelchair; allowing client to hold hand or arm while ambulating; pushing portable oxygen tank, assistance entering/exiting JFS van; finding public restrooms; etc.
- Accompanying client into examination room during assessments if client desires..
- Taking legible and clear notes using PiCC forms during appointment.
- Assisting client to make future appointments if requested.
For more information, or to get involved with PiCC, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org; 734-769-0209 or visit PiCC’s website.