JFS Response to Covid (March-August 2020)
JFS is here for anyone and everyone.
We are responding to the critical needs of our community during this challenging time, as we have since 1993. COVID-19 affects all of us — parents, friends, neighbors, clients, and colleagues. Whether by delivering meals, introducing technology to older adults to reduce isolation, walking alongside those searching for employment, or providing respite to caregivers, JFS is here for you.
JFS is nimble and adapts to the ever-changing environment. When COVID-19 took hold of our community, we pivoted and opened our doors virtually, innovating our program models to provide increased services that address financial instability, food insecurity, mental health concerns, education, and career support. We are helping more people than ever, and we are doing so with fewer resources.
We won’t let anyone go hungry, feel alone, or fall behind.
As COVID-19 continues to affect our world, help JFS as we continue to:
- DELIVER prepared meals and groceries to Holocaust survivors, isolated seniors,
disabled adults, and newly arrived refugees
- CONNECT to isolated seniors through our new WISE Comfort Line, counseling,
- PROVIDE care coordination to older adults facing extraordinary challenges during this time
- LINK unemployed and underemployed adults with employers and financial resources
- PROVIDE crisis management support, including eviction and utility shutoff prevention
- SUPPORT caregivers through CARES virtual groups, education, respite care, and
- LISTEN and counsel through THRIVE teletherapy and virtual support groups
- INITIATE virtual youth support groups
- PROVIDE transportation to critical medical visits and treatments
- SUPPORT refugees as they navigate integration during the pandemic
- CONTINUE to foster revenue producing programs through the Amster Center
Voices of JFS during the pandemic
“I have been so grateful and blessed to have utilized your food pantry service during hard times these past few months. I want to thank all of you for your hard work and generous spirit. You helped me during a time of great need with no judgment, and I thank you for that. It is so hard to reach out for help when you’re at rock bottom, but this service made it so much easier. Thankyou for your time, love, and support.” – Maria, food pantry client
“It’s so good to see that other people have similar challenges. I know I can vent here without being judged. I also enjoy being able to share feelings and concerns, and even to share a few laughs. These are difficult times with the pandemic and being able to get together with others going through similar issues is very reassuring. I’m very grateful for the opportunity to meet with this group.” – Lisa, virtual support group member
“I do the work at JFS because I love to help people whenever possible. Because, as my dad says, if our family was in need, we know that there are people like the family at JFS that would help. During this crisis, I learned that no matter how bad things get, it will always get better through the help of others.” – Landon, JFS summer staff member